Chocolate Mousse & Raspberries with Passion Fruit Curd, Candied Hazelnuts, and Textures of Raspberries
Recipe courtesy of Tracy Hoffer, CWPC, Executive Pastry Chef, Chevy Chase Club
- Ingredients for Chocolate Mousse:
- dark chocolate (75%) - 13 ozs.
- milk chocolate (38%) - 13 ozs.
- heavy cream - 30 ozs.
- gelatin sheets - 6 sheets
- granulated sugar - 3 ozs.
- yolks, pasteurized - 1.8 ozs.
- egg whites, pasteurized - 12 ozs.
- vanilla extract - 1.5 ozs.
- Ingredients for Hazelnut Dacquoise:
- egg whites - 180 gms.
- sugar - 100 gms.
- powdered sugar - 125 gms.
- hazelnut flour - 150 gms.
- cake flour - 45 gms.
- Ingredients for Gel Inlay:
- raspberry puree - 750 gms.
- glucose - 165 gms.
- sugar - 105 gms.
- pectin NH - 11 gms.
- Ingredients for Dark Chocolate Glaze:
- gelatin sheets - 21 ea.
- water - 300 gms.
- heavy cream - 720 gms.
- granulated sugar - 780 gms.
- glucose - 300 gms.
- cocoa powder - 360 gms.
- Ingredients for Swiss Meringue:
- egg whites, fresh preferred - 8 ozs.
- sugar, granulated - 16 ozs.
- Ingredients for Foam:
- raspberry puree - 170 gms.
- sugar, granulated - 16 gms.
- Versa Whip - 3.5 gms.
- xanthan gum - 1.5 gms.
- Ingredients for Passion Fruit Curd:
- yolks - 12 ea.
- granulated sugar - 1.5 cups
- passion fruit juice or puree - 1 cup
- heavy cream - .5 cup
- butter - 6 ozs.
- zest - 2 Tbsps.
- Ingredients for Fluid Gel:
- raspberry puree - 300 gms.
- agar agar - 2.4 gms.
- simple syrup - as needed
- Ingredients for Candied Nuts:
- nuts - 250 gms.
- water - 125 gms.
- sugar - 125 gms.
- vanilla bean - 1/2 pod
- salt - 5 gms.
- water - 12 gms.
Procedure for Chocolate Mousse:
- Melt chocolates together. Keep warm.
- Bloom gelatin sheet in ice water.
- Whip cream to soft peaks.
- Whip egg yolks and 1 oz. of sugar until pale in color.
- Whip egg whites and rest of sugar until meringue is medium-peak.
- Add yolks, vanilla and 1/3 of whipped cream to chocolate and combine—if mixture is too thick, add more cream.
- Melt gelatin completely and add into chocolate mixture.
- Finish folding in all of the whipped cream.
- Fold in meringue.
- Pipe mousse into molds immediately and freeze.
Procedure for Hazelnut Dacquoise:
- Make meringue with egg whites and sugar.
- Fold powdered sugar into meringue.
- Sift hazelnut flour and cake flour together and fold into meringue mixture.
- Spread onto silpat and bake at 350°F for 15 to 18 minutes.
Procedure for Gel Inlay:
- Combine sugar and pectin NH. Add all ingredients into pot and bring to a boil.
- Immediately pour into mold for inlay.
Procedure for Dark Chocolate Glaze:
- Bloom gelatin in ice water.
- Combine water, heavy cream, sugar and glucose in pot. Bring to a boil and then add cocoa powder. Add gelatin and then strain through chinois.
- Cool glaze to 95°F before using. Refrigerate unused portion until needed.
- Make your gel inlay and pour into ¼ sheet pan (a quick trick is to cryovac the ¼ sheet pan to create a liner, instead of saran wrap). Freeze inlay.
- Cut inlay to the size of your mold for chocolate mousse and leave in freezer while making chocolate mousse.
- Make chocolate mousse, pipe mousse into mold and push inlay into the center of each one. Scrape excess mousse off bottom to level off mold. Freeze mousse.
- Cut the hazelnut dacquoise so it is slightly bigger than the base of the mousse.
- Unmold your mousse onto a wire rack on sheet pans for glazing setup.
- Glaze mousses; add luster dust if desired after glazed.
- Using an offset spatula, transfer mousse to cake bases (ideally this is done while mousses are still mostly frozen, for ease of moving).
Procedure for Swiss Meringue:
- Heat egg whites and sugar over a double-boiler until sugar is completely dissolved. (The mixture should be slippery smooth and very warm to the touch.)
- Move mix to a clean, dry mixing bowl with a whip. Whip on medium-high speed until meringue starts “spitting” and is very glossy.
- Pipe into desired garnish. Dry out in low-temperature (120°-150°F) oven overnight, with door left ajar.
Procedure for Foam:
- Carefully scale all ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Whip on medium speed until full volume has been reached.
- Put into a piping bag with the desired tip. Pipe as needed.
- Store in refrigerator until needed.
Procedure for Passion Fruit Curd:
- Place first four ingredients into a large stainless bowl and whisk together.
- Cook slowly over a double-boiler until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Once thick, remove from heat and add butter and zest when mixture is about 105°F.
- Pour into hotel pan.
- Cover directly with plastic wrap; refrigerate until needed.
Procedure for Fluid Gel:
- Mix ingredients together. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Simmer for two minutes, then refrigerate until cold and firm.
- Vitamix with simple syrup to desired consistency. Refrigerate until needed.
Procedure for Candied Nuts:
- Bring sugar, water and vanilla bean to a boil.
- Stir in nuts and cook until liquid is evaporated.
- Deglaze with salt and water.
- Spread onto silpat and bake at 325°F until toasty.
- Put a spoonful of passion fruit curd onto plate and “swoosh” it near the rim.
- Place your mousse onto the plate so it is in the center of the curd.
- Next add your garnishes; start with your candied hazelnuts and fresh raspberries.
- Using a piping bag, add your raspberry fluid gel dots, and raspberry foam. Finish the plate off with meringue kisses.