Chicken Milanese with Arugula Salad
Recipe courtesy of Denise M. Caurdy-O'Connor, Executive Chef, Knollwood Country Club, West Bloomfield, Mich.
- breadcrumbs - 1 1/4 cups, plain dried
- olive oil - 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp.
- flour - 1/3 cup, all purpose
- eggs - 2 large, lightly beaten
- coarse salt - to season
- ground pepper - to season
- boneless chicken breasts - 4 (6ozs. each) skinless, halves
- fresh lemon juice - 2 Tbsp.
- lemon wedges - for serving
- baby arugula - 5 ozs.
- red onion - 1 small, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425°F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss breadcrumbs and oil until well-combined; spread on sheet.
- Cook, tossing once, until golden borwn, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Place flour and eggs in seperate bowls; season with salt and pepper. Place on rach on another rimmed baking sheet.
- One at a time, place chicken breasts between two large pieces of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or the bottom of a small heavy pan, pound until 1/2-inch thick.
- Coat chicken on both sides with flour (shaking off excess), then dip in eggs (allowing excess to drip off); dredge in breadcrumbs, pressing firmly to adhere.
- Bake chicken on rack, without turning, until opaque throughout, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together remaining 2 Tbsp. oil and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Add arugula and onion; toss.
- Top chicken with salad; serve with lemon wedges.
Chef's Note: The bite of lemon, arugula and onion cuts through the richness of these crisp cutlets. We have served with many side dishes but have kept the chicken dish for many seasons, as it is now a staple and signature dish.