“Chicken and Rice”with Thelma Sanders Squash, Chicken Salt, Mustard Frill
Recipe courtesy of TJ Garrish, CEC, Executive Chef, L'Hirondelle Club of Ruxton.
- Ingredients for the “Rice” Cracker:
- dried prawn crackers - 100 gms.
- oblate discs - 20 x 9 cm
- pasteurized liquid egg whites - 75 gms.
- Ingredients for Thelma Sanders Squash Puree:
- whole butternut squash - 2 ea., halved and seeded
- butter, cut into pieces - 50 gms.
- pure maple syrup - 32 gms.
- salt - 2 gms.
- ground cinnamon - to taste
- Ingredients for Chicken Salt:
- chicken skin - 225 gms.
- salt - to taste
- fresh cracked pepper - to taste
- maltodextrin - 5 gms.
- fried sage - 1 gm.
- dehydrated lemon zest - 2 gms.
Procedure for the “Rice” Cracker:
- Process the prawn crackers in a Robot Coupe to make coarse, 2 mm crumbs.
- Spread out 10 oblate discs, one by one, over silpats for dehydrator.
- Place another disc of oblate over each to form a double layer of oblate.
- Brush the disc with egg white, using a pastry brush.
- Sprinkle prawn cracker crumbs evenly over the top.
- Dehydrate at 104°F.
- Store the dried snacks in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
Procedure for Thelma Sanders Squash Puree:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the squash halves, cut side down, on a baking sheet and roast for 30 to 40 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Scoop out the innards into a Vitamix and add butter, syrup, and salt. Process on high, then pass through a tamis. Add cinnamon and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Place in pastry bag and keep at room temperature.
Procedure for Chicken Salt:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pat dry and cut chicken skins in thirds lengthwise. Place them skin-side up in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the skins with a layer of parchment and top with a baking sheet to weigh it down, making sure the top sheet presses down on the skins.
- Bake until the skins are browned and crisp (35 to 40 minutes). Remove the top baking sheet and parchment and transfer the skins to a plate lined with a paper towel, to cool and crisp up.
- Transfer chicken skins to Robot Coupe; pulse until fine. Pass through a mesh sieve.
- Place chicken-skin powder into a mixing bowl and add maltodextrin, crush fried sage and dehydrated lemon zest. Mix well, until consistency resembles coarse salt.
Finishing and presentation:
- Heat fryer to 350°F.
- Fry the crackling discs until they puff.
- Drain well and season with chicken salt.
- Pipe small amount of squash puree on each cracker.
- Place mustard frill on squash puree on cracker.
- Garnish plate with a line of squash puree and place garnished cracker on center of puree.