Braised Pork Belly with Hoisin Sauce, Scallions and Crispy Wontons
Recipe courtesy of Derek Ingraham, Executive Chef, The Olympic Club, San Francisco, Calif.
- Ingredients for Braised Pork Belly:
- olive oil - 1/2 cup
- pork belly - 5 lbs.
- chicken stock - 8 cups
- stout beer - 32 ozs.
- celery - 1 bunch, chopped
- onions - 2 large, chopped
- carrots - 3 medium, chopped
- garlic cloves - 12 ea.
- thyme sprigs - 10 ea.
- salt - as needed
- Ingredient for Parsnip Puree:
- parsnips - 1 lb., peeled and chopped
- whole milk - 2 cups
- apple juice - 1/2 cup
- unsalted butter - 1/4 lb.
- sea salt - as needed
Procedure for Braised Pork Belly:
- Preheat oven to 300º F.
- Add ½ the oil in a large roasting pan at high heat and sear both sides of the pork; remove from pan.
- Add rest of the oil to pan, and saute the onions, celery, carrots and garlic until caramelized.
- Add beer to the caramelized vegetables and cook down halfway. Add chicken stock.
- Add peppercorns, salt and thyme, then add seared pork belly back in.
- Cover and braise for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven and let cool down in the braising liquid. Once cool, remove from liquid and place on a baking sheet; put a second sheet on top and weigh it down overnight in the fridge.
- Strain reducing liquid and reduce down until sauce-like consistency; adjust seasoning.
- Next day, cut the belly in desired portion size. Sear at high heat to get crispy skin, basting with the reduced braising liquid.
Procedure for Parsnip Puree:
- Put parsnips in a pot and cover with the cream and apple juice; bring to simmer and cook until the parsnips are very tender.
- Strain parsnips very well and put into a vita prep; add butter and blitz until it is a smooth paste. Add as much of the cream from the cooking liquid to get your desired consistency.
- Season with sea salt.