Recipe courtesy of Boris Kirzhner, Executive Chef, Ridgemoor CC, Harwood Heights, Ill.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a sheet tray, place pipe bones with the marrow side up. Put garlic and shallots on top of the marrow side of the pipe bones and season with salt and black pepper. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- In a mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- When the marrow is done roasting, let it cool for about 30 minutes.
- Chop the shallots and garlic and add them to the creamed butter.
- Take the pipe bone and scrape all the marrow out of it into the butter mixture. Add the oil and drippings from the sheet tray in the butter mixture, too.
- Add fresh thyme and give it a couple of spins so all the ingredients get mixed.
- Refrigerate for eight hours before using.