Blueberry Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Keith Foster, Executive Chef, The Legend at Brandybrooks, Wales, Wis.
- challah bread - 1 loaf, cut in 1-inch cubes
- egg yolks - 10
- sugar - 1 1/2 cups
- vanilla - 1 1/2 tsps.
- heavy cream - 40 oz., scalded
- dried blueberries - 1 cup
- whiskey sauce - 18 oz.
- powdered sugar - as needed
- mint - as needed
- Whiskey Sauce
- butter - 1/2 lb.
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- egg yolks - 4
- Jack Daniels whiskey - 2 ozs.
- Heat butter in a saucepan until melted and barely simmering.
- Slowly add sugar while whisking, until it is totally dissolved and the melted butter is hot to the touch.
- Place egg yolks in a stainless-steel bowl and slowly whisk in a small portion of the hot butter/sugar mixture. This will temper the eggs so they won’t curdle. Place the mixture in a saucepan.
- Whisk the rest of the eggs into the butter-and-sugar mixture in the saucepan, stirring quickly and constantly over low heat. Remove from heat, transfer to a storage container and allow to cool, stirring from time to time to promote more rapid cooling.
- When the sauce is about room temperature, add whiskey and mix well.