Black Bean Medallion with Red Pepper Coulis and Shallot Confit
Recipe courtesy of Morgan Heneghan, CCC, Sous Chef, Royal Oaks Country Club, Houston, Texas
- For Black Bean Medallion:
- black beans - 1.2 KG
- water - 350 gr.
- olive oil - 150 gr.
- sodium cseinate - 50 gr.
- activa RM - 50 gr.
- salt - 10 gr.
- MSG - 2 gr.
- rosemary - 15 gr., minced
- thyme - 15 gr., minced
- chives - 15 gr., shaved
- For Red Pepper Coulis
- celery - 2 ea., chopped
- shallots - 1 Tbsp., chopped
- garlic - 1 tsp., minced
- onion - 1 ea., chopped
- roasted red pepper - 14 ea., pureed
- white wine - 1 cup
- vegetable stock - 1 cup
- whole butter - 4 ozs.
- lemon - to taste
- honey - to taste
- For Shallot Confit
- clarified butter - 2 ozs.
- shallots - 32 ozs., quartered
- honey - 2 ozs.
- sherry vinegar - 1 Tbsp.
- maderia - 2 ozs.
- veal stock - 12 ozs.
- whole butter - 2 ozs.
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
Procedure for Medallion:
- Drain and rinse Black Beans thoughly. Then divide the black beans in half. Spread one half of the beans on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the beans in a 350°F convection oven to dehydrate them for about 15 to 20 min. They should all mostly pop open.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining beans with water, oil, salt, msg and the herbs. Using a immersion blender blend them into a paste. Think refried bean consistency.
- Combine the Sodium Caseinate and Activa RM. Make sure this mixture is throughly combined.
- Add the Activa miture to the Black Bean paste.
- Add the dried beans to this mixture. Make sure to taste the mixture at this point and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Using plastic wrap, mold the Black Bean mix into a cylinder. Tie the ends off with butchers twine and make sure these are tight without any air pockets. (If you get air pockets you can prick them out with a thumb tack / however you will need to wrap them again in plastic wrap).
- Allow the cylinders to cool in a refridgerator for at least 6 - 24 hours to create the strongest bond.
- Cook the cylinders in a water bath set at 149F for one hour then shock in a ice bath.
- Slice medallions as desired and cook using desired method. Grilling and searing work best.
Procedure for Red Pepper Coulis:
- Sweat celery, shallots, garlic and onion. Deglaze with white wine. Reduce to sec.
- Add red peppers and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook
for 15 minutes. Remove from stove and add whole butter.
- Puree and strain.
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Procedure for Shallot Confit:
- Slowly caramelize the shallots in the pan with the clarified butter.
- Next, add the honey and continue to gently toss the shallots.
- Deglaze with sherry Vinegar and the Madeira; reduce to sec.
- Finally, add the veal stock and reduce by half. Fold in the whole butter. Adjust the seasonining.