Belgian Chocolate Masterpiece
Recipe courtesy of Natasha Capper, CEPC, Executive Pastry Chef of Piedmont Driving Club, Atlanta, Ga.
- Ingredients For Brownie Base:
- semi-sweet chocolate chips - 500 gr.
- unsalted butter - 540 gr.
- sugar - 900 gr.
- eggs - 540 gr.
- bread flour - 275 gr. (can substitute 275 gr. all-purpose flour)
- extra brut cocoa powder - 100 gr.
- salt - 6 gr.
- Ingredients for chocolate cake:
- eggs - 346 gr., room temperature
- sugar - 806 gr.
- vanilla extract - 10 gr.
- mayonnaise - 555 gr.
- water - 668 gr.
- cake flour - 350 gr.
- bread flour - 350 gr. (can substitute 700 gr. all-purpose flour in place of the bread and cake flour)
- baking powder - 2.2 gr.
- baking soda - 16 gr.
- cocoa powder - 150 gr.
- salt - 6 gr.
- Ingredients For Callebaut Dark Chocolate Mousse:
- powdered gelatin - 7 gr.
- water - 42 gr.
- dark rum - 23 gr.
- vanilla extract - 14 gr.
- Callebaut 2815 or 811 dark chocolate - 680 gr.
- water - 113 gr.
- sugar - 312 gr.
- pasteurized egg yolks - 212 gr.
- heavy cream - 1360 gr.
- Ingredients for chocolate glaze:
- powdered gelatin - 15 gr.
- water - 80 gr.
- vanilla extract - 10 gr.
- heavy cream - 400 gr.
- water - 150 gr.
- sugar - 125 gr.
- non-UHT milk powder - 50 gr.
- extra brut cocoa powder - 30 gr.
- Callebaut 2815 or 811 Dark Chocolate - 375 gr.
- Ingredients for White Chocolate Chantilly Cream:
- heavy cream - 500 gr.
- powdered gelatin - 3 gr.
- water - 20 gr.
- Callebaut Velvet or W2 White Chocolate - 225 gr.
- Ingredients for Chocolate Soil:
- cake flour - 125 gr.
- bread flour - 75 gr. (can substitute 200 gr. all-purpose flour in place of the bread and cake flour)
- sugar - 112 gr.
- turbinado sugar - 112 gr.
- extra brut cocoa powder - 75 gr.
- kosher salt - 5 gr.
- unsalted butter - 125 gr., melted
- Ingredients for Chocolate Gel:
- agar agar - 1.5 gr.
- sugar - 150 gr.
- extra brut cocoa powder - 50 gr.
- milk - 112 gr.
- light corn syrup - 30 gr.
- unsalted butter - 40 gr.
- Ingredients for Raspberry Sauce:
- sugar - 50 gr.
- ultratex 8 (cold process starch) - 12 gr.
- thawed raspberry puree - 1000 gr.
- raspberry marmalade - 250 gr.
Procedure for Brownie Base:
- Melt the chocolate chips and butter together.
- Sift the sugar, flour, cocoa powder and salt together. Mix in the eggs. Mix in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Pour into a silicone baking mat-lined sheetpan and spread evenly.
- Bake at 325°F convection oven for approximately 18-20 minutes until a tester comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely and freeze.
- Flip brownie out of the pan and remove the silicone baking mat. Cut disks the same size as the timbale mold and place in the bottom.
Procedure for chocolate cake:
- Whip eggs and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 6-8 minutes. Whisk together vanilla extract, mayonnaise and water.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt.
- Alternate adding the wet and dry ingredients into the whipped egg mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Spread evenly into a greased, parchment-lined sheetpan.
- Bake at 350°F convection oven just until cake springs back to the touch. Cool completely.
- Cut out disks about ½” smaller than the diameter of the timbale mold.
Procedure for Callebaut Dark Chocolate Mousse:
- Sprinkle gelatin over 42 gr. water, rum and vanilla. Allow to bloom.
- Melt the chocolate.
- Whip the heavy cream to soft peaks and reserve.
- Place egg yolks into the bottom of a mixer bowl and whip on low speed.
- Place 113 gr. of water in a small saucepan and top with the sugar. Cook to 240°F. As soon as sugar reaches the correct temperature pour it into the whipped egg yolks being careful to pour it between the whip and side of the bowl so the sugar does not splash up and get stuck to the side of the mixing bowl.
- Immediately turn mixer up to medium-high speed and whip until the bowl is just warm to the touch but not hot.
- Melt the bloomed gelatin mixture until hot but not boiling. Fold a third of the whipped cream into the egg yolk mixture. Fold in the melted chocolate. Fold in the melted gelatin. Fold in remaining heavy cream.
- Begin to assemble timbales as soon as mousse is made.
Procedure for chocolate glaze:
- Bloom gelatin in first quantity of water.
- Place second quantity of water and heavy cream into a saucepan.
- Whisk together sugar, milk powder and cocoa powder. Add to the saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring often and being careful not to let the mixture burn.
- Place chocolate and bloomed gelatin into a bowl. Pour hot mixture over the chocolate and mix until the chocolate and gelatin have completely melted, being careful not to add a lot of air bubbles. Mix well with a stick blender.
- Strain into a storage container, press film wrap onto the surface of the glace and chill.
- When ready to use, melt completely and allow to cool to approximately 75°F. Glaze frozen timbales and allow to set.
Procedure for White Chocolate Chantilly Cream:
- Bloom gelatin in the water.
- Heat about ½ of the cream to 200°F (steaming but not boiling). Whisk in the bloomed gelatin.
- Pour over the white chocolate and mix until the chocolate is completely melted. Whisk in the remaining cream. Mix well with a stick blender.
- Chill mixture overnight. Whip to firm peaks.
Procedure for Chocolate Soil:
- Combine all the ingredients until a crumble forms. Spread out onto a silicone baking mat.
- Bake at 325°F convection oven, tossing occasionally, for about 20-30 minutes. Break up any large chunks and cool completely.
Procedure for Chocolate Gel:
- Sift cocoa powder, agar agar and sugar together.
- Place the remaining ingredients into a saucepan and whisk in the sifted dry ingredients.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly for approximately 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain into a storage container and press film wrap touching the surface.
- Chill before using.
Procedure for Raspberry Sauce:
- Combine sugar and starch. Place remaining ingredients in a blender.
- When mixture forms a vortex add the sugar/starch mixture and blend until completely combined.
- Allow mixture to sit in the cooler at least 30 minutes for the starch to fully thicken.
Garnishes: Quartered Strawberries, Halved Raspberries, Whole Blackberries, Mona Lisa Dark Chocolattos, Mona Lisa Dark Chocolate Microchips
- Line timbale molds with acetate strips. Place a brownie disk in the bottom of the mold. Pipe mousse on top of the brownie base about 2/3 of the way up. Press a disk of chocolate cake into the mousse forcing the mousse up between the sides of the cake and the acetate. Fill mold all the way to the top with mousse and level. Freeze. Unmold and keep frozen until ready to glaze.
- Glaze timbales and sprinkle a line of Mona Lisa Dark Chocolate Microchips.
- Store in the cooler until ready to plate up.
- Spread a small amount of chocolate gel on the plate and comb.
- Place the timbale on the curve of the chocolate gel.
- Put about 1 teaspoon of chocolate crumble slightly off center in front of the timbale.
- Sit a quenelle of white chocolate chantilly cream on the chocolate soil.
- Add a few dots of raspberry sauce and sprinkle random berries around the plate. 9. Finish with a Mona Lisa Dark Chocolatto resting at an angle against the timbale.