Recipe courtesy of Sean Sennet, Executive Chef, Kenwood Country Club, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Chicken Rub
- granulated garlic - 1 cup
- black pepper - 1 cup
- dried oregano - 2 cups
- kosher salt - 3 lbs.
- crushed red pepper - 1 cup
- thyme - 1 cup
- For chicken brine
- granulated garlic - 2 cups
- kosher salt - 2 cups
- granulated sugar - 2 cups
- water - 5 gal.
- For chicken:
- 2- to 3-lb. chickens - 10, halved
- chicken brine - 5 gal.
- chicken rub - as needed
- beer - 1 in.
- For Chicken Rub: Combine all chicken rub ingredients in a container.
- For Chicken Brine: Combine all ingredients and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and cool. Reserve.
- Add chicken to brine; cover and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from brine and purge in freshwater for an hour.
- Add beer to a 2-inch-full hotel pan. Place chicken in beer, exposing the top half.
- Top with chicken rub.
- Smoke or cook in oven uncovered at 275º F. until internal temperature is 165º (roughly 1 to 1.5 hours).
- Remove from beer and dip in your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Crisp skin on a grill.