- Yield: 4
African Adobo Salmon over Avocado Fried Rice with Sriracha Aioli
Recipe courtesy of Eva Barrios, CEC, Executive Chef, Royal Oaks Country Club, Houston, Texas
- Ingredients For African adobo rub:
- toasted and ground coriander seeds - 2 tsps.
- ground ginger - 1 tsp.
- crushed red pepper flakes - 2 tsps.
- ground tumeric - 2 tsps.
- dry mustard - 2 Tbsps.
- grated nutmeg - 2 tsps.
- ground allspice - 2 tsps.
- cayenne pepper - 2 tsps.
- freshly ground black pepper - 2 tsps.
- kosher salt - 2 Tbsps.
- paprika - 1 Tbsp.
- dried orange zest - 1/2 Tbsp.
- sugar - 1 Tbsp.
- Ingredients For Salmon:
- 5 to 5.5 ozs. salmon filet - 4 ea.
- salt and pepper - as needed
- olive oil - 2 ozs. + more as needed
- African adobo rub - as needed
- Ingredients For Avocado Fried Rice:
- olive oil blend - 2 ozs. or as needed
- carrot - 1/2 ea., peeled and julienne
- asparagus - 4 ea., sliced
- cherry tomatoes - 1/2 cup, halved
- white rice - 2 cups
- soy sauce - 1 oz.
- white vinegar - 1.5 ozs.
- chiffonade basil - 1 Tbsp.
- chiffonade mint - 1 Tbsp.
- green onions - 1 Tbsp.
- avocado - 1 ea., peeled and medium diced (Chef's note: Add to order at the last minute. Seasoned with salt and pepper)
- Ingredients For Sriracha Mayo:
- mayonnaise - 1 cup
- fresh lemon juice - 1 tsp.
- minced garlic - 1/2 tsp.
- Tabasco - 1/2 tsp.
- Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce - 1/8 cup
- salt and pepper - to taste
- For African adobo rub: In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Transfer to a plastic container and cover. Label and date.
- Place salmon filet on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the salmon, and coat evenly.
- Coat the presentation side of the salmon with a light coat of the African adobo rub. (Do not coat the side where the bloodline was removed).
- On a skillet at medium to high heat, add 2 ozs. of olive oil.
- When oil is hot, place the salmon filets in the skillet. (If the skillet is big enough for all four filets. If not, place two at a time.) Pan-sear the side of the African adobo rub coat first until it is golden brown. It should only take a few minutes. Then flip over to the other side and pan-sear for an additional 3 minutes.
- Transfer salmon to a 350°F preheated oven and finish cooking salmon until it reaches an internal temperature of 130°F to 135°F.
Procedure For Avocado Fried Rice:
- In a hot wok, add 2 ounces of olive oil blend.
- Add the carrots and asparagus and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and rice. Heat rice through and finish with soy sauce and white vinegar.
- Add basil, mint, green onions and avocado and fold gently. Adjust seasoning if needed with kosher salt.
Ingredients For Sriracha Mayo:
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper. Transfer mayo into a plastic container, cover, label, and date. (Chef’s Note: Rice is not meant to be dark like regular fried rice.)