Recipe courtesy of Sean Dwyer, Pastry Chef, Hamilton Harbor Yacht Club, Naples, Fla.
- Chocolate mousse
- heavy cream - 490 g
- silver gelatin - 6 sheets
- semi-sweet chocolate - 650 g
- heavy cream - 1 quart
- Mandarin Orange Gel Insert
- mandarin orange purée - 500 g
- agar agar - 5 g
- sugar - 100 g
- Chocolate soil
- butter - 260 g, cold, medium dice
- brown sugar - 300 g
- AP flour - 330 g
- cocoa powder - 50 g
- almond flour - 135 g
- Chocolate Twigs
- dark chocolate - tempered
- ice water - hotel pan
- Almond Cake
- whites - 300 g
- sugar - 100 g
- powdered sugar - 250 g
- almond meal - 250 g
- Orange Glaze
- silver gelatin - 22 g
- water - 125 g
- granulated sugar - 225 g
- white chocolate - 225 g
- condensed milk - 160 g
- cristal neutral glaze - 90 g
- orange food color - tt
- Soak gelatin in ice water until softened squeeze out excess water and set aside.
- Whip qt of heavy cream until soft peaks.
- Bring 490g of heavy cream to a boil and stir in gelatin until melted.
- Pour over chocolate and stir until melted and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let cool until 107 degrees and fold into chocolate until smooth and combined well.
- Pour orange mold immediately 3/4 the way full.
- Place frozen mandarin orange gel into the middle of the mousse.
- Cover with mousse to fill mold and freeze.
- Untold frozen mousse put on wire rack for glazing.
For Mandarin Orange Gel Insert:
- Mix together agar agar and sugar set aside.
- Bring purée to a simmer on med heat.
- Whisk in sugar agar agar mixture slowly.
- Bring to a boil.
- Chill until completely set.
- Blend in til smooth add water or purée if needed.
- Freeze into small muffin mold.
For Chocolate Soil:
- Combine and mix with paddle attachment until it comes together.
- Bake on sheet tray at 350 for 12-15 mins.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Put into food processor until soil texture.
For Chocolate Twigs:
- Pipe chocolate on top of the ice water.
- Remove from the water when set.
- Sift cocoa powder on top of chocolate twigs.
For Almond Cake:
- Sift together almond flour and powdered sugar and set aside.
- Whip whites adding sugar slowly until stif peaks form.
- Fold almond flour and powdered sugar mixture into whites until smooth and shiny.
- Put into half sheet tray with Silat and bake 350 for 12-15 mins until golden brown.
- Cool and cut 1 1/2 inch rounds.
For Orange Glaze:
. Soak gelatin in ice water until softened squeeze out excess water and set aside.
- Bring water, sugar, and glucose to a boil.
- Stir in gelatin until it’s melted
- Pour over white chocolate and emulsify.
- Stir in condensed milk, neutral glaze.
- Add color blend with a hand blender.
- Cover with plastic wrap and cool till 100 degreesF.
- Glaze frozen mousses.
- Place glazed mousse on top of almond cake round.
- Put glazed mousse in center of the plate.
- Surround the mousse with chocolate soil.
- Place chocolate twigs on top of soil.
- Add garnishes (optional hazelnuts, figs, gold leaf, flowers)